June 2018 Release - The New Interface of NED
(Latest Revision: 22 Jun 2018)
The NED team is pleased to present a new user interface! The original web interface is being phased out and replaced with a
modern, streamlined approach that simplifies and consolidates query forms,
and provides interactive tables with linked graphics in the results.
Featured upgrades include:
- A single search box on the main screen lets you easily search for
objects by entering an object name, an object name or coordinates with a search
radius, or a refcode. Image searches are also supported (click the ? icon by
the search box for examples.)
- Information for a single object is presented in a modern, convenient way:
- A new Overview page summarizes key quantities, as available
- Detailed data in different categories are organized in tabs
- Integration of the IPAC Firefly toolkit provides interactive tables
(including sorting, filtering, data downloads) and linked graphics
- FITS images can be viewed in your browser using the IPAC Firefly image
viewer (replaces the Aladin Java applet)
- Documentation has been updated and re-organized (see Information in
the main menu bar above)
- Modernized forms for the calculators (under Tools in the menu bar):
coordinate transforms, Galactic extinction, and velocity corrections
- References now link to the new ADS interface
- New API to query the NED Object Directory using the VO
Table Access Protocol (TAP)
Some familiar NED features are not yet integrated into the new interface:
Search Objects by IAU Name, Search Objects by Classifications, Build Data Table
from Input List, Search References by Object Name, the Galaxy Environment tool,
and Level 5. These will be included in upcoming releases, and meanwhile they
remain available in the 'Classic Services' menu option (above).
Please refer to the Known Issues page for more information.
We welcome your feedback and comments.