NASA/IPAC EXTRAGALACTIC DATABASE
Date and Time of the Query: 2018-11-14 T01:55:59 PST
Help | Comment | NED Home

For refcode 1995AJ....109.1476P:
Retrieve 91 NED objects in this reference.
Please click here for ADS abstract

NED Abstract

Copyright by American Astronomical Society. Reproduced by permission
1995AJ....109.1476P ENVIRONMENT OF COMPACT GROUPS OF GALAXIES G. G. C. PALUMBO Dipartimento di Astronomia, Universita di Bologna, Via Zamboni 33, Bologna 40126, Italy and I. Te. S. R. E/C. N. R., Via Gobetti 101, Bologna 40129, Italy Electronic mail: ggcpalumbo@astbo3.bo.astro.it P. SARACCO Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita di Milano, Via Celoria 16, Milano 20133, Italy and Osservatorio Astronomico di Brera, Via Brera 28, Milano 20121, Italy Electronic mail: saracco@bach.mi.astro.it P. HICKSON Department of Geophysics and Astronomy, University of British Columbia, 2219 Main Mall, Vancouver, B. C. V6T1z4y, Canada Electronic mail: paul@geop.ubc.ca C. MENDES DE OLIVEIRA European Southern Observatory, La Silla 19001, Santiago 19, Chile Electronic mail: coliveir@eso.org Received 1994 March 2; revised 1994 December 19 ABSTRACT Fields surrounding 91 compact groups of galaxies in Hickson's catalog have been searched for neighboring galaxies within a radius of 1.0h^-1^ Mpc. Positions, magnitudes, sizes, and morphological types of 2711 galaxies, measured from paper prints of the Palomar Observatory Sky Survey, are used to study the density distribution and fraction of spiral galaxies in the environments of these groups. 71% of the groups shows typical surface densities over 100 times larger than their close environments. 82% show no significant concentrations of galaxies near the groups. The remaining 18% (16 groups) do have significant concentrations of galaxies within a 0.5 h^-1^ Mpc radius. The compact groups have a significantly different distribution of spiral fraction than do their environments, as does the subsample of the 16 groups embedded in a rich environment. There is no correlation between the spiral fraction in a group and in its environment. The mean spiral fraction for the galaxies in the environments is 54%, as compared to 45% for the compact groups. These results contradict the view that most compact groups are a result of chance alignments. Rather, they suggest that the compact group formation process can efficiently operate in regions of relatively low galaxy density.
Retrieve 91 NED objects in this reference.
Please click here for ADS abstract

Back to NED Home