7.6. Many Unanswered Questions
There are many questions yet to be answered in this area. These include:
- What are the most likely magnetic field structures in interstellar
cloudlets ? Many theories abound (see above), but a firm global
observational picture is needed.
- How is the magnetic field structure affected by the formation of a
high-mass star ? Many theories predict magnetic field curvature, field
twisting, and field disorder.
- What is the magnetic field structure of cold 10 K dark cloudlets ?
Many such cloudlets are too faint for current instrumental
sensitivities. Many theories predict some magnetic support of these
- What is the magnetic field structure of cold cloudlets having just
started to produce a single protostar ? This could give some clues to
the early stage of star formation.
- Do magnetic fields collimate protostellar outflows, and do they
interconnect the cloudlet with the surrounding interstellar material ?
Many theories predict the removal of angular momentum from the
protostellar cloudlet to the environment, and the observational details