This page displays results from searches for classification, type, and
attribute data for an
individual object. These data are distinct from NED's "Basic
Data" because they are referenced and accompanied by detailed qualifiers.
The classification data returned by your search will be presented as an
HTML table. An XML VOTable format will be available in the near future.
Classifications are presented in two sections: 1) as published, and 2) as
standardized by NED.
The "Published" section has just two entries:
- The classification itself, perhaps with some parts "translated" for
easier reading (e.g. "compact" for "c" or "C", "edge-on" for "sp")
- The reference code for the source of the classification. This is linked
to NED's Reference database so that you may easily retrieve the full
reference or abstract.
The "NED Homogenized" section has several entries:
- The classification itself in NED's adopted notation based on that in
RC3 or RSA for optical classifications. Note that NED has adopted a
single uncertainty symbol "?" in this field to represent all levels of
uncertainty (e.g. ":", "::", "?", and so forth). The original
uncertainty symbol is available in the "Published" classification.
- A quality flag, usually taken from the original publication, but
sometimes inferred by NED.
- The bandpass:
|Gamma ray || ||X-ray|
|Ultraviolet || ||Optical|
|Near IR || ||Infrared|
|Far IR || ||Sub-millimeter|
|Millimeter || ||Radio|
- The region to which the classification applies e.g. "Galaxy" for the
entire galaxy, "Nucleus" for its nucleus alone, "Cluster" for a cluster
of galaxies, etc.
- Notes clarifying or commenting on the classification. For example,
the original 7-byte coded type from RC3 is given as a note.
Use your browser's "Back" button to return to the Classifications results
Back to the Classification Search Input Page